Sunday 2 January 2011

So what can I actually do?

I love the idea that there are 3 simple things that are always in our power to do, that will help us to start with ourselves:

  1. Breathe deeply
  2. Drink more water
  3. Reach for a slightly better feeling
I have found my breath is a helpful indication of how connected I am feeling with peacefullness.  I have found breathing deeply is so helpful in so many situations, where I would otherwise felt out of control or powerless.

I notice myself that I often have a little nagging feeling that turns out to be thirst, and my lips are a good indicator as to how successful I have been in remembering to drink more water.

I like to try experimenting with all the different ways I can perceive a situation, and look for a way that feels slightly better.  There are some great examples of reframing in NLP (neuro-lingustic programming) which highlight there is no right or wrong - just our perception of a situation.

For example, you see a man pushing an old lady to the floor.  You label him a evil villan.  You then notice he is pushing her out of the way of a falling piano.  You label him a hero for saving her.  Is he either of these?  Or both?  His action has remained the same and how you view that action has changed...

What would you like to try in your own life?

With thanks to Esther Hicks, and her book and CD 'Getting into the Vortex', which suggests beautifully the 3 simple steps outlined above.

No comments:

Post a Comment